Friday, June 12, 2020

Maine, Day 5 (Portland Lighthouse)

After our adventures moose hunting, we were scheduled to go on a schooner ride out in the bay.  Unfortunately, that too was cancelled due to weather.  While we got to do some fun things on the trip, there were 2 cancellations that were very disappointing.  Our hotel that night was in Portland, ME, so...  with nothing much else to do, we started to head that direction.  We did some googling on the way, and found a lighthouse to stop and explore.  The Portland Head Light/Fort Williams light house.
 The area is very picturesque... of course!  This picture, in particular, makes me think of Mr. Rogers neighborhood...  I think it is the trolly.
 And I liked this one because the leaves are in sharp focus, with the lighthouse slightly blurry in the background.
 It was rainy, and windy when we arrived.  But we braved it for a quick look.
 You can see the clouds in the back.  I am probably glad I was not out sailing on a schooner....  It would have been rough and frightening.
 And you can also see why you might need a light house.  To avoid all the rocks.
 Still a decent side trip :)
 And of course we stopped at the gift shop....  You need a little bit of everything.  We didn't have a lot of time because we got there close to closing time.
 Afterwards we walked on the grounds a little bit, and drove around to see some of the grounds of Fort William.  But we didn't stay very long.  It was getting dark fast, and we were tired from being up at the crack of dawn 2 days in a row.
We got to our hotel that night and ate downstairs at the "brewery".  That night I spent a decent amount of time studying.  I had been studying off and on during the rest of the trip, while hubby did all the driving (that the problem with having only your name on the rental agreement).  But I would have 2 tests the day I got back, so...  had some serious studying to do.

0 cool people read this: