Monday, June 8, 2020

iFly!!!

I don't remember how, exactly, the idea of indoor skydiving came up.  I think it was that hubby and I wanted to do something sort of adventurous and this was a viable option.  I also do remember being impressed that Grandma and Grandpa were willing to give it ago!  Who knew they were so adventurous!!!  So, we decided to take the whole family!  Recent kindergarten grad all the way up to close to retirement!

We scheduled the appointment, and headed in that direction.  We made sure to tie back back our hair and wear comfortable clothing.  When we arrived, they fit us in our flight suits, complete with helmet.  Then we went into the training room where we watched a video, met the instructor, and practiced a little bit.  They also had to teach us some sign language of sorts because once you are inside the fan area, it is very loud and difficult to communicate.  And then.....  it was time to fly!  You come to the edge of the area where the instructor is waiting and then you just kinda....  Jump.  The fan catches you and the instructor helps you to get in the correct body position.  By changing your body position, you can also change your direction and height and all sorts of things.

It is pretty cool that they also provide professional stills and videos of your experience so that there are some pretty cool things to look at in the future.  They even add some fun back ground music.  Not all of the stills or videos are 100% flattering....  there are some pretty high powered winds involved.  But they are fun to look at all the same :)

We think that Kari went first.  At this point we no longer remember.  She sure looks like she is having fun!

Each fly was approximately 1 minute long, and we each got to go twice.  The first time is pretty mind bending, and you are struggling to figure out what to do.  The second time, the instructor let us try to move on our own, and was pretty good at being there just in case.
 
I no longer remember the exact order we went... so I guess I will go in a birth order of sorts.  Here is a still of Kaitlyn.
And here is her video.  She's pretty light and flexible, so....  sometimes he had to do a quick grab to make sure she wasn't going to fly away.


Up next we'll do Dylan!
He too is pretty flexible.  You'll see when he first comes out he looks almost like he is bending in half backwards!

Here comes Kelsey!  She looks so happy!
We've got another bendy one!  She looks like her back is bending in a way that isn't exactly good for it. You'll also see at the beginning where it looks like he is showing her the number 2.  That is some of the "sign language" that they taught us.  He was trying to tell her to straighten out her legs.

Then there was me!  Remember how I said not all the pictures were flattering? :p  If you didn't know or remember, I actually went skydiving on my 18th birthday.  This was pretty fun!  Much less dangers, much less expensive, and much more convenient.
He had to do some positioning with my hands and legs as well.  Then, at the end of the ride, he grabbed on and did some high flying fun!!!

Grandma said she enjoyed it!  She, unfortunately got a bit dizzy, and maybe didn't do her second flight.....  my memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment.  But I know she did her first one!  I'm so proud of her adventurous spirit!
I guess she did the second one.  They only did the high flying part on the second flight :)  Go Grandma!  She needed a little bit of help to sit down.

Grandpa's turn!!!
Again, I think it is so cool that Grandma and Grandpa wanted to go!  And that they looked at it like it was no big deal.  "Sure!  Why not!" were grandpa's exact words I believe.  Grandpa appears to enjoy hitting the walls :)

And last, but not least, Hubby!  He is my favorite, after all.  It was probably his idea, and it was so much fun!
But I also saved him for last because after his flight, the instructor went on to do a demonstration that was seriously so freaking cool!

It wasn't too physically difficult for any of us to do.  My shoulder did hurt for a day or two afterwards (one that I had previously hurt, and that I thought had long since healed, but maybe left everything a bit loose in there).  We did buy 2 more flights for everyone else, assuming we would go back and use them again someday...  We haven't yet, but I am still not opposed to it.  That day was fun and adventurous in many ways!  Ice cream, movies, sky diving?!?!  What more could a person ask for?  Oh...  I know!  Another new puppy!!!

0 cool people read this: