Saturday, July 10, 2021

5th Week of July, 2020 (Ashcrafts come to Visit)

 The last week of July/first part of August, we were able to have some wonderful visitors.  It was really nice to have someone come to visit, since we had been inside and alone for 4 months at that point.

Monday was Kari's first day of Band camp and Kaitlyn started practicing with cross country.  We picked up glasses for Dylan and spent a large portion of the day cleaning the house.  Hubby came home early from work with a headache, which made cleaning a bit difficult.  The Ashcrafts had originally planned on leaving the following day, but they ended up leaving a day early and got there late that night.  All of my children were asleep already by the time they got there at 11pm.  So, putting all the children to bed the first night was pretty easy.

Tuesday was band camp and XC (cross country) practice again.  Most of the day we hung out with the Ashcrafts, and spent a decent amount of time in the pool.  Kelsey and Taylor did some laying out by the pool also.

That night, we were brave and left all the kids with hubby for a girls night.  Really, the bigger girls were in charge, and hubby just didn't have anywhere better to go.  We had several ladies at Girls Night at Mr. Pizza.  I know it was Jade, Amanda, Diana, and I.  I believe Mallory and Heather were also there...  maybe Alice?  I'm not sure at this point.

Wednesday was band camp again, but not XC because it was raining that day.  Band camp was also shortened because of the rain.  We took dinner over to the Swails, who just had a baby.  And hubby went out of town to FL again.  We spent most of the day swimming when it wasn't raining.  I have a ton of pictures to share with swimming (in a separate post)!  Kelsey could shower, but wasn't supposed to keep her foot submerged in the pool for fear of germs.  This is what her foot looked like after 3 days. 
To solve the problem the best we could, because there isn't much else to do in Alabama but swim, we covered Kelsey's foot in plastic wrap....
And then made sure she just floated in the pool instead of doing much swimming.   I know she was bummed about not being able to play as much in the pool as she wanted to.  But....  there wasn't much we could do about it.

That day I was also excited to see all the hummingbirds that I had.  I had previously been able to notice several, but I hadn't really identified any, so I couldn't tell exactly how many I had.  That day, however, they all came at the same time!  And while hubby said he thought it was kind of gross, because it reminded him of a swarm of bugs, I was really excited to see all the hummingbirds!

There was many, much hanging out with all the lovely visitors!



Poor Becca got stung by a wasp.  Apparently, there was a wasp nest in-between the fence panels, and when the kids started to use the zipline, it aggravated them.  Becca was the lucky winner of a sting.  We gave her some ice and Benadryl immediately, so it was able to cut the pain down, but it made her tired.  And, Diana, being a mom of 5 with a deployed husband (at the time) was just tired, and miraculously able to sleep through all the noise in the room.  Seriously, I was so impressed!
Diana was also working on getting her Yoga Instructor certification, so we had a few yoga classes that week too.

Thursday we spent more time in the pool, and had another yoga class.  Kari had band camp, and Kaitlyn still had XC.  I also had a repair man come over to try to fix the dishwasher.  He actually interrupted the end of the yoga class, but NBD.  He installed what he thought would fix it, and went on his way.  Unfortunately, he would have to come back later :(  During that day, Diana also decided that she maybe wanted a puppy approximately Pixie's size, that would just cuddle with her, and that wouldn't need anything from her.  And, because Pixie is part poodle, Diana could cuddle without too many problems with her allergies.  That night was supposed to be couples night with us Smiths, Hills, Woods, and Diana.  Unfortunately, the Hills weren't able to come, but Hibachi was still delicious!  And the company and conversation were great, as always!

Friday morning I was greeted with this cute little thing asking me to help her open her breakfast.
Friday was also the last day of band camp.  And Student Teacher Orientation was held via Zoom.  As I believe I have mentioned before, the meeting felt pretty pointless, as they didn't have much information to give out, and it was very much, ask your mentor teacher or we'll figure it out later.  The kids did some hanging out and visiting (of course).
That night we had a birthday party for Clay.  The Woods and the Hussey's came over (the Hills bailed again), and we had pizza, cake and swam alot!  Kelsey made herself right at home holding the youngest Hussey baby :)
And, unfortunately, we had some plumbing problems starting that evening (separate post).

Saturday was plumbing and Kaitlyn's birthday celebration (separate post).
That evening, the Woods came over for dinner and swimming.  

Tayler showed off some of her gymnastics skills on the trampoline.

And that night all the kids had one last sleep over before the Ashcrafts would be leaving the following day.
Sunday morning, we got up and drove some of the way home with the Ashcrafts.  We stopped in Atlanta to drive through a cool dinosaur thing (separate post).  Then we grabbed lunch and split ways.
The kids were sad, of course, that their friends were gone.  That is always the hard part of having such a fun time: when it is over.

But, I am always grateful for my friends who provide leftovers, even when they aren't here any more :)

0 cool people read this: