Monday, February 8, 2010

One of Each

It happens often enough. When I go out with all three children, invariably someone will make a comment as to how many children I have. Usually it is something good natured like "Boy, you have your hands full." To which I usually respond, "Yes, I do." Sometimes, someone will say something like, "Oh, two girls and a boy. Now you can stop." As if now that I have one of each, I don't need to procreate anymore. I hate to break it to you, but I didn't have children just because I wanted to "try them on". I didn't have 3 because I wanted to keep going until I got a boy, so I could try the differences between the genders. Hubby and I are always excited when we find we are expecting, and are always accepting, regardless of the gender of the child. In all honesty, having children of one gender would probably be financially better, because it allows for the passing down of clothes, toys, blankets, etc, more possible. And, once you have dealt with one gender, all children of the same gender are the same, and you are an expert. What? That's not how you felt? Just kidding. Each of my children is different, and you have to experiment to find what works with each one. However, every once in a while, there is the occasional comment that is just down right rude. Like this weekend. Hubby and I went to Home Depot to buy our 4th set of electronic thermostats (since the old fashioned ones in the house didn't work properly, and the others new ones we tried didn't cycle properly). Hubby went to make sure we got one that "would" work with our system. I went to make sure it looked pretty. The kids went because although Kari is extremely responsible for a 5 year old, she still is, well, 5. The gentlemen passing us in the aisle took one look in our cart and said, "3 kids?!?! Do you think you have enough?" Hubby and I made some generally neutral, and at least civil comment, and continued to walk down the aisle. In truth, however, it hurt my feelings. I consider myself a decent parent (don't worry... I am not fishing for compliments, so don't feel like you need to provide any). My children are at least bathed and fed daily. They have warm beds to sleep in. They are mannerly, and generally well behaved. Heck, they even say "yes ma'am" and "no sir". I'll admit that I can't provide gold toothbrushes or every kind of lesson/play group/toy under the sun, but they have things that they need, and several things that they don't. Why, if I can do all these things, should I not be able to have as many children as I want? Hold on now, I am no Michelle Duggar (who just had her 19th child.... her husband is gonna kill that girl if he can't learn to keep it in his pants, or if they don't take evasive action. Although, they have less debt {as in none} than I do, and there children are well mannered, so who am I to judge. I am just talking from a health stand point.... having her 19th child at the age of 43 has gotta be difficult on the body). I never said I wanted that many children. I don't agree with the "Octo-mom" either. But, I am married, with a husband who works hard to provide for our family. I am not on welfare, but I will always be looking for ways to save money (more on that in a post to come). But, if I can support 3, 4, or 8 children, why do people feel the need to make comments like that? If you want to comment today, like I said, I am not looking to boost my ego on my parenting skills (although I could never say no to a well placed compliment ;). Feel free to tell me how stranger's comments make you feel. What your feelings are on large or small families. And, if you have had situations like mine, how you made yourself feel better about it.

Besides, just because their parents never told them they loved them doesn't mean I can't have as many children as I want :)

8 cool people read this:

K Thompson said...

Like I told you in September, I'm absolutely honored to have you guys as my kids and am so proud of the job you are doing as parents of my beautiful grandchildren. When is the next one coming? Is that a good enough answer for ya?
People can just be DUMB sometimes.... Maybe they're jealous?

Alyson said...

I get this all the time, even in Utah. We're big even as modern LDS families go—used to be seven was no big deal, but it is now.

On a Jane Austen forum (of all places!) I was once pretty viciously attacked by another Jane Austen fan about my irresponsibility in populating the earth and consuming all the good resources. Could be this is why people get offended. You guys are drinking all the clean water and breathing all the clean air! But you're right, it is none of their business at all, and I think you're completely within your rights to say so.

Becca said...

I say "Amen, sister friend!".

But on the other hand, I have to say having one child I get the same rude comments, but mostly from Mormon ward members. They look at us strangely then come right out and say, "One child? Aren't you guys going to have anymore?" or the "Don't you want to have more kids?" or "Spencer needs someone to play with." I hate it! Umm...yes let me just delve into my VERY personal life and let you know what we are doing and planning on doing. It's hard especially when we want more kids and they aren't coming. People in general have too much to say about how many kids others should have. How many kids are in a family totally is up to the husband, wife and the Lord. End of story.

By the way, I love that you have 3 adorable kids, because I love hearing the stories and plus you really are an AWESOME mom. :)

Laura said...

I'm sorry! Strangers can be quite RUDE! It IS best to brush them off like you mostly do. I can't relate yet, but I have had a few strangers tell me that McKenna "should be ______ (walking, talking, crawling...) by now." Thanks, I'll get working on that. :)

Jonathan said...

I am censoring myself as much as possible to properly communicate what I feel. First, to say any comment like that to a perfect stranger shows neither tact nor decency. Second, if he was that strongly opinionated to show it in that way, he is of low intelligence and doesn't understand the concept of gaining influence or persuasion.

In other words, if an idiot says something offensive, are they really worth a second thought other than about how much you should pity them?

I would have probably knocked him unconscious.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Yeah I can see how that would get on your last nerve! We have one, hopefully more to come soon- but I hear people comment to other people about multiple kids, and comparing their families to others, its rediculous. And I think it is because they aren't happy with something in their family life that they have to try and make others feel bad. It's horrible, and I say have all the kids you want! IF you can take care of them all! :) Which you can!

James and Kista said...

Dumb man. Some people just talk without thinking. And yes, he probably wasn't loved as a kid...
On Becca's note, there was a gentleman in our ward that came up to me one day at church and went on and on for a while about how James would make a good dad and how I needed to give him a baby. Finally, I had enough and politely told him that we had been trying for about 6 years. He didn't know what to say to that and walked away shortly afterward. He still has not said anything since Landon has been born. :) Some men just don't know how to express themselves very well.
You two deserve as many children as you can possibly have and you are an amazing mother. But that is just my opinion ;)

Shauna said...

I completely understand! I'm usually only out and about with my two boys, but even then I get lots of the "you must be really busy" comments. I usually say something like "that's what I expected."

My other pet peeve is the stupid "you know how that happens" comments people (almost always men) make to pregnant women. Why yes I do and it was all part of the plan, thank you very much!