And we kinda saved the best for last. I found this place online that did something called "Canopy Tours." The description said you would climb a redwood tree, zip line, and repel. Sounded just like what this adventurer ordered. We convinced everyone to join us (we even convinced Grandpa that it would be fun. He came up the night before, actually, just as I was unlocking the door to the room to find it flooded) to hang out with us and maybe do the tour. He didn't end up going, because he stayed to help Grandma with all 4 grand kids. But, the 4 siblings and 2 spouses went. It was fun!!! Our tour guide (shout out Adam!!!) was fabulous. His approach was to teach us everything and practice it on the ground, and then he would be more hands off while we were up in the trees.
First things first: Get geared up. I am sure Danny Boy would be the first to tell you these harnesses were the most comfortable things ever.... *wink*
Pickle was still getting geared up at this point.
All 4 siblings, suited up and ready to go.
Pickle, Jonamon, Me, and Wah-Lah.
This was ground school. We had several verbal commands, as well as a partner, so our tour guide would always know what we were doing, what we were going to do next, and that we were safe. We practiced going through the whole drill on the ground several times through before we went up into the trees.

"Pulley on. Keeper coming off."

"Lobster claw 1 on. Lobster claw 2 on. Pulley off."
Partner saying "Check. Check. Check." as they observe the safety measures being met.

"Ready to Zip. Zip on!!!"

Our turn to practice. Yes, we do look Hawt :)

I will forever be thankful to hubby for taking this picture.

This one too. Hey. Don't laugh! It was hard to get that lobster claw up to the pulley.

Me, climbing up a redwood tree. See the first platform right up in the top, left corner?

Me climbing, ever so gracefully, onto the second platform. I am now 70 feet in the air.

Me, going across the first zip line to the second tree.

A bit closer. Check out that cute hiney!

Waiting on the platform until I am clear to go. This was the hardest part for me.
I didn't think I was scared of heights. Maybe I was wrong.
There I go!!!
Wah-lah took this picture. I look terrified and happy at the same time!
BIL Danny Boy.
All 4 siblings on a platform, 60 feet up.

Turn around and take a picture of the people on the ground. Look how small they are.

Close up. I labeled them. I know. I am a geek.

Hubby was so patient. He was the last to go, and ended up having to wait for almost 2 hours.

Up the tree.


1st Platform.

2nd platform.

Hubby on the longest Zip Line.
Now that I have done it, I can say I did it. However, this one was really hard for me. I have jumped out of planes, SCUBA dived, para glided... This was fun. I am glad I did it. I won't do it again.
Also, I bruise like a peach (as Pickle says). The results:
I took the liberty of numbering them (that is what the red numbers are...)

The numbers are kinda small. So, I will count for you. There are 12 ;)
After this little excursion, we ate dinner, got some ice cream (for Kari. Yeah sure. That's what they all say) and started the drive back to Grandma's and Grandpas. Our vacation within a vacation was complete. But we weren't done quite yet. We still had a day left at the 'rents...
2 cool people read this:
Great pictures Emily!!! :) So awesome that you guys did that.
You documented this part of our trip much better than I did. Great pics and videos. Holy smokes those bruises are yucky!
Post a Comment