Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Christmas Tree

I feel a bit silly buying a real tree every year.  It is just a waste of money.  But they smell so good, and look so good, that in my little mind, it might be worth it.  This year, we had to wait until later in the day to decorate the tree, so Kelsey was already in bed, which, to be honest, may have made the process a bit easier.  It was Dylan's turn to put the star on.
Then the obligatory picture in front of the tree.
Funny Kaitlyn Pose :)
Later on, I played with the settings on my camera and got this shot.  I kinda like it :)
Kari and I also got this shot :)
2013 wrap up:
This year hubby was promoted from Assistant Project Manager to Project Manager.  This allowed us to sell the old truck, and upgrade to a new one.  He is very busy doing the office stuff, as well as some of the field stuff, for his new project, which is located less than 2 miles away from Disney World.  While we didn't do a ton on the house this year, we did manage to organize and clean up the workshop outside.  Hopefully he won't have that many excuses now :)  He still struggles with headaches, and now a herniated disc in his back, but loves to be active and run and do things.  His love of horses hasn't changed, and he keeps re-arranging the budget to fit one in someday.

I enjoy spending my time blogging and occasionally getting the crafty bug.  I started working out last year, and did really well for about 9 months (enter vacation, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc).  I lost almost 20 lbs, and hope to be able to keep it off this year.  I stay at home with the two younger ones, and spent a few months last year watching another little boy as well.  I want to be more social, but that requires cleaning, so we'll see if we can manage more of that this year.  I also got a fancy new camera this year, and have really enjoyed taking pictures with it.

Kari finished 2nd grade and started 3rd.  She is a crazy voracious reader and got 3rd place in the school wide spelling bee this year (more on that later).  She is super smart and loves math.  She has lots of friends at school and enjoys doing Activity Day Girls at church with other girls her age.  She shares a room with her little sister, and most of the time they get along well.  She also got glasses this past year, and is amazed at how much better she can see.  She hates sitting still to have her hair done, but got her first pair of heels.  She played softball earlier this year but is currently taking dance with her little sister.  However, I predict more sporty things in her future.

Kaitlyn concluded kindergarten and started 1st grade.  She is pulling in straight A's and S's, but struggles a little bit with talking.  In all honesty, I am not sure she struggles with talking so much as with volume.  The poor girl doesn't have a whisper setting.  She is more of a follower than a leader, and is struggling a bit with Kari's new found activities and freedoms that she has to be patient for.  She started dance this year (her first after school activity) and is a pretty good at it!  She is a strong sense of fashion, and we still regularly argue about what she can wear (weather appropriateness or matching-ness).  She is also completely a girly girl.  She loves having her hair down and/or done, and wearing jewelry and dresses.

Dylan is all boy.  All.  Boy.  Everything is lined up.  Everything fights.  He doesn't realize how strong he his, and pushes too hard when he plays.  He is a picky eater, and doesn't really like sweet things (if I didn't carry him for 9 months, I wouldn't think he was mine).  This fall he will be starting kindergarten, so I probably need to spend some time with him learning letters and numbers.  Although, I am pretty sure he knows more than he shows me.  We haven't tried any organized sports with him, but he loves to play and run outside.  And to hang out with his dad.  And to get dirty. Though the previous two things are often linked.  He no longer takes naps on a daily basis, but still "enjoys" quiet time.  He is also a teaser, and butts heads with both Kelsey and Kaitlyn.

Kelsey is a stinker.  She is loud, which means most of the time she gets what she wants in an effort to keep her quiet.  She definitely has an attitude, and I fear her "terrible twos."  She has an opinion about everything and has no fear expressing it, even though we don't always understand.  She is starting to string 2 words together and can copy most things you say.  She climbs and pulls, and can get to things she shouldn't.  She eats everything, from broccoli and soup (good) to wax and paper (bad).  She is growing well and it is fun to see her in her sister's outfits.  Everyday she grows up both excites me and makes me sad.  I guess it is time for me to find a rental baby.

This year had ups and downs (of course), but over all was quite good to us.  We hope this year will be a positive one for us as well, holding lots of good people, good food, and good fun!  May your new year be as good as you hope it will be!

4 cool people read this:

Becca said...

I love the picture of the Christmas tree! So cool! I should play around more with my camera. Love the update too, it's so fun to see the differences between the kids and especially all of the things they are into.

Alyson said...

The tree is pretty! We buy a real tree every year too, but ours never smell :( I wish they did, but they're just too fresh. We get them from a guy who has a permit and cuts them down same-day. They never dry out enough to smell, and aren't ready to burn by the following summer.

Laura said...

Great update and a good lookin' tree!

Mickellerox said...

It's an online family Christmas card! Love it and I LOVE the pic of the tree where you fiddled with your settings, I think it looks AMAZING, and the pic of Kari with the tree reflected in her glasses is super cool :)