Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bokeh

I don't blame you if you don't know what bokeh is.  I didn't know what it was until I got my big girl camera and started researching these things.  In my simple mind, it is the blurry stuff behind someone in a picture.  Technical definition:  Bokeh, which is pronounced bow-kay or bow-keh, refers to the wonderful out-of-focus light and shapes and colors you find in the background of many photos taken with a digital camera. It is created by light and glass (in your lens) and distance and wind and focus.

I admired the blurred background in some pictures before I got my camera, but could never get it with a point and shoot.  It was actually one of the reasons I was interested in a DSLR.  I think I first came across the strange phenomenon here while surfing the Pioneer Woman's website.  Then, after I got my camera, I somehow found this while surfing around and vowed to try it when Christmas came.   The second link came from a blog written by a woman named Amanda.  Go look at it.  It's pretty cool.  I'll wait.

Amanda proceeded to first post some pretty cool pictures (IMO), and then give detailed instructions on how to get similar ones.   She made it look so easy!  So I made a quick "hood" for my camera, and dashed to my craft stash to gather my punches.  Turns out, I don't have many.  Just one of a teddy bear and one of an elephant.   First, I tried just getting the out of focus look on the lights, and I think those turned out alright.  Here are the bears.  Notice how each individual light looks like a teddy bear.
And here are the elephants.  Again, note how each individual light (esp towards the bottom) looks like an elephant.
Then, I gathered my model and tried to get some classic bokeh in the background.  Those didn't turn out too horribly either.
 Hello Kelsey!  Peek a Boo :)
 Background lights off?  Check.  Super cute, cheesy grin?  Check.
But I could never put the two together.  I could never get my camera's aperture to go as low as hers.  And I didn't notice until now that she increased her shutter speed...  Doah!  Maybe I will have to try again next year.  With a model who will stand still longer :)  Just wanted to show you some cool techniques, even though I utterly failed at them :)  

4 cool people read this:

Becca said...

See, you are so good at figuring this stuff out. I wish I was patient enough to see all the things our camera can do. I love the lights in the background for Kelsey. Good job!!! So pretty too! That is Kelsey and the lights. ;)

Laura said...

I don't think you failed. I think it looks cool! So you're telling me my cell phone camera won't ever do this? ;)

K Thompson said...

Never heard the word before. You make me remember what fun it was taking photos with my SLR for so many years. I like it all. Dad

Mickellerox said...

These turned out super cool, not a fail at all! Cute model :)