Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Gender Neutral

I have an acquaintance (yes believe it or not, I do know some people). One day, as we were talking about our children, I quoted something from Dora. I often do this because I am completely lacking in the grown up reference materials section. Plus Dora happens to be more on my level. Rather than assuming he didn't respond to my commentary because it wasn't, in fact, all that funny, I said something like "That's right. Your oldest is a boy. And your daughter isn't really old enough to be into that kinda stuff yet." His reply was something along the lines of "We try to be pretty gender neutral at our house. I know who Dora is." Oh. Ok.

I know we as a {air quotes} society try to make everything politically correct, and gender neutral, and as unoffending as possible. And in some ways, I think that is good. However, I think there are obvious differences that can't be ignored. And, I think these differences are put there for a reason. Whomever you believe is responsible for creating us all, he created us differently because we compliment each other. I am not just talking about male and female (although we do seem to fit nicely together). But, all different types of personalities, and races, and talents, and abilities. In general, who wins all the races in the Olympics? Black people (or people of African American descent... or whatever is the preferred reference these days). Am I saying that a white person cannot beat a black person? Absolutely not. I am just saying, in general, we are different. When was the last time you saw a women lifting a gazillion pounds? Not very often (notice, again, I didn't say never). In general, men are stronger than women. You know what? That's ok.

The other thing that bugs me is the whole different standards thing: men and women are held to different standards when trying out for the same thing. Now, if you truly believe that men and women are the same, why the difference? And, if they aren't, why allow someone to do something they physically can't. Imagine, if you will, your house catching on fire. You pass out from smoke inhalation, and a fire person comes in to save you. But, this person can't actually life your 150 lb butt up (because you have been eating too many chocolates) and is forced to drag you outside, not only making your fabulous new Jimmy Choos dirty, but also giving you multiple bruises and contusions that may have been avoided had said person been able to lift you up. (Lets ignore the fact that you could stand to loose some weight for the moment anyway). How does that make any logical sense?

We were all made for different purposes. We all have a talent, or something that we are good at, that someone else, one day, will need us for. According to Kari, mine is telling people to turn off the tv. And, lets face it, as a mother, that is an awesome talent. So, lets not say we aren't different. Clearly, we are. Lets just learn to use what we have to help ourselves and other. Now, that being said, I see no reason why we can't all just get along. One of my friends posted this the other day, and I thought it was cute.



I think I am done with my soapbox for the day. Hope I didn't offend anyone with my incoherent babble. Sometimes, I do have grown up thoughts. Notice, however, it still did include a cartoon reference... Oh well :)

4 cool people read this:

Becca said...

What a cute video!!! :) It's true, why can't we all get along.

Laura said...

I also really like the video! Men and women ARE very different and for good reasons too, like you said. If I offer McKenna either star wars dolls or baby dolls, she gonna choose the latter. :)

Mickellerox said...

This is a super neat video and yay for genders and their differences (except for when the male kind is dumb and the female kind is mean).

Alyson said...

Adorable video.

And I couldn't agree more on the gender differences. I don't want to be a man, and all the stuff everyone else says about equality doesn't change my mind.