Wednesday, March 17, 2010

1 year old presents

1 year old birthdays are not really about the 1 year old. To the birthday child, being 1 year old is no different an being 364 days, ya know? It is for us, the parents, the siblings, the extended family. It gives us a reason to allow our child too much sugar, to make a mess of themselves and the floor, to tear paper, eating some of it, and staying up way past bedtime in an effort to celebrate as much as possible, but being grumpy because it is waaaaaaay too late to care about opening presents. Wait.... Why do we do this again?

Because it gives our eldest a chance to decorate.
Kari has been counting down Dylan's birthday for several weeks now. On Monday, she went to her calendar and said, "Yep, tomorrow is Dylan's birthday. Right on schedule."
Birthday morning she came into Dylan's temporary room
(my older sister and hubby contrived to surprise me with a visit, so she is in his room,
and he is in ours), to see "How big he was now that he is one."
Here he is. Freshly bathed. No more frosting in his hair, or ears. I have umpteen cute cupcake pictures, but it was too many to fit in one post. So, I figure I will do that one tomorrow. That way, since I know you want to see cute cupcake pictures, I know you will come back :)
Ooooh look. Paper.
He got his first pair of big boy tennis shoes. I think he has worn shoes, maybe, twice in his whole life. Mostly he is a sock kinda kid. But, I hope he will be walking soon, so he will need some growed up tenny runners.
One shoe off, and one shoe on. Diddle diddle dumpling my son Dylan. Wait....
We stood him up, and he balanced with no help for a whole 15 seconds. It was great!
Reading a card from the great grandparents. Please note his fists full of paper :)
Just a cute shot of the shoes and the bum. Can't get much better than that.
Reading a card from Aunt Stacy and Uncle Matt.
Wait... This wrapping paper is more interesting. Sorry Stacy and Matt :)
Go ahead Dylan, dig in... Wassin the box?
More paper! Yay!!!
And Cars!
I love how he is sprawled out with his new shoes and his new car :)
And what did the girls do? They promptly each grabbed one, took it to the other side of the room, and started playing. I guess it is good that Dylan shares.
That's alright. It left him alone to unwrap his last present. Timberrrrrrrrr!
Daddy had to show him what to do.
Sometime in the proceeding, Dylan got bored, and went to play with his socks. Kari, being the wonderful, helpful sister that she is, decided to drag him back to finish opening his last present (since we had already told her she couldn't).
Who knew socks were so helpful at opening presents!?!?!
The End.
He also had his one year check up at the pediatricians today. He has hardly gained any weight... only 2 oz, so he is 22 lb 10 oz (50%). But, he has grown an inch, now being 30 in tall(55%). Guess I need to start fattening him up :)

5 cool people read this:

Laura said...

I'm pretty sure Kenna was only 29 something inches at her 15 month check up. They're probably getting close to evening out in size... :)

Cute play-by-play of the presents! Can't wait to see the cupcake shots!

Alyson said...

Oh he is so cute freshly bathed that no cupcake can ever compare. Happy birthday D-boy!

K Thompson said...

I LOVE your blog. The pictures and commentary almost make it seem like we're right there. It was a great time. Thanks for letting us in on the celebration for your sweet boy! You nailed every shot.... Love that Dylan!!!

James and Kista said...

Love the pic of you and Dylan! Need more pics of you! What a handsome little guy!

Mickellerox said...

I was there for that too! If you look carefully, you can see evidence of my purse and gum bag. :) I am so lucky that I got to be there with you to celebrate! :)