Friday, April 7, 2017

What Time Is It?

The last project we had to do for Kari was a clock.  I looked online and couldn't find a green wall clock that she really wanted.  We had leftover fabric and a will to live (just kidding) so we went back to Hobby Lobby and picked up a clock kit.  We asked hubby to make us a square out of scrap wood, but to build an excess frame on the back so we would have somewhere to staple the fabric to.  Then we primed it white so the fabric would have a nice white background.
I knew we would put the fabric on the square first, and then drill a hole in the center later, and I didn't want the fabric to move, or get caught on the drill.  Enter the Mod Podge!  
We did our best to make the fabric even all the way around.  It's not exactly perfect as the fabric has some stretch to it, but...  that doesn't bother us!  Then we turned it over and wrapped it like a present, so the sides and corners would look nice.  And we used the stapler to attach the extra fabric on the frame hubby made for us.  The clock kit will sit down inside that frame as well, so from the side, all you will see is the nice edges we created.
 I figured the fabric would get dusty sitting on the wall, and once it was mounted to the clock, we couldn't just take it off and wash it.  I wanted to be able to wipe it off with a duster or cloth and make it look clean again, so we put a coat of Mod Podge on top as well.
Because I kinda feel like Mod Podge never 100% dries and always seems a tiny bit tacky, I took it outside and sprayed it with a light coating of the same sealer I put on the dresser knobs.
The clock kit came with gold hands and we bought some numbers that were gold as well.  I don't love the gold look, and I thought black would have a higher contrast, so....
... we painted them with some leftover spray paint we had from another project.
And then the project sat for a while.  As in months.  I was waiting for a good time for hubby to put the numbers on the clock.  He is so much more exacting, it was the perfect way for him to "get involved" in the project.  Once we finally got around to it, I warned him that because of the sealer we put on there, I doubted he could mark it with a pencil and get a good erasing out of it.  So, in typical hubby fashion, he figured out a way to not mark on it at all!
 Piece of cake!
 The only thing left to do is set the time.
 And cheese it up!  Finished product!  Voila!
 In case you noticed that hubby has something wrong with his wrist, never fear.  Its not leprosy.  Just poison ivy from cleaning up the yard.  Never even saw it coming.  But after a week of itching, loosing sleep, and swelling, he finally went and got some steroids.  Silly man.
All that was left to do was to put it up on the wall.
Looks pretty great next to her curtains.
 And now, because it has been lived in, it is not in the best shape.  So many tiny messes to clean up.  So I will have t have her clean everything before I can give you a final tour.

1 cool people read this:

Laura said...

What a super fun way to use the fabric again. And poor Justin's arm!