Occasionally we mention all the other words we know in different languages. Now, don't get me wrong, we don't know a bazillion languages, but we can count to 10 in at least a few :)
Both hubby and I took Spanish in high school, and I took a semester in college as well. So we tend to go back to that whenever we start batting around words like uno, and tengo hambre. Kari, being the ever inquisitive girl that she is asks more and more questions. In an effort to give her something to do, I mentioned I had an old Spanish textbook from my college days downstairs.
What I thought would be a solution turned out to be an issue in itself. She continued to ask questions that I, in the midst of making dinner, didn't have the time to answer. And then I thought "Wait a minute! I have access to my very own personal tutor!" Grandpa! Who served a Spanish speaking mission and who currently works in Chile, speaking Spanish daily.
So, we busted out the technology....
And had our first lesson. Since then, she has had 3 more!
I have no idea how much longer it will last, how fluent she will be, or how much she will retain as she gets older. But for now, I enjoy seeing her bond with her grandpa who is thousands of miles away. Yay for technology!!!
4 cool people read this:
That is pretty darn cool! What a great grandpa to be helping out his granddaughter too. :) Spencer has been thinking about other languages, he says he wants to learn Spanish, because I did three years in high school, but we are pushing him towards French....because we'll likely live in France, someday. I hope. But way to go Kari!!!! Hola! ;)
Also try DuoLingo app for the iPad. It won't get her as far as your dad will, but it is available 24/7.
Also try DuoLingo app for the iPad. It won't get her as far as your dad will, but it is available 24/7.
Great pictures! Love seeing this!
Post a Comment