So, today is my first day at Kindergarten. Specifically, it is the first day a piece of my heart, soul, mind and body has spent the day at kindergarten, and... Lets be honest. I am a bit freaked out. Not because I don't think she will do well. Truth be told, she already knows better than 50% of the things they are supposed to learn in kindergarten. She may even get bored. Not because I am afraid she won't make friends. She does that naturally. She can't seem to help it. Not because I don't think she can handle the work load. She has been giving herself "homework" for weeks now. And not because she can't handle it emotionally... She will probably be alright. She is used to the burns. She is used to people who aren't always nice, or thoughtful. She has a decent set of manners, and... all in all, she is probably well set up for this.
So, why am I freaking out?!?! Well, for one, it is my job to worry. Even when she isn't worried about friends, or homework, or emotional issues, I am. Also, at church, I was kinda there every step of the way, being in primary... If she acted up, and her teachers could handle it, I would. Plus, I got to see what was going on, who she was playing with, what she was learning. At school.... not so much. And, lets just keep it real for a minute: Her being in kindergarten means that I am getting old. When did that happen?!?! And there goes my carefree days of travelling, and thrown off schedules, and nap times, and grocery runs, and and and.... I don't know if I am ready for 8,000 birthday parties, and dance recitals, and soccer games. Next thing you know, she will be graduating college with a ring on her finger, and a baby in her belly. YIKES!
(Takes deep breath)
As for now, I will content myself with the fact that she can wear a Diego backpack, with a SpongeBob lunchbox, and Tinkerbell socks to school and not let it bother her. All too soon she will be worried about fashion and labels. Not today. Not a worry in her heart, not a care in her soul as she let go of daddy's hand (I practically had to convince her to let him walk her to class), waved goodbye, and didn't look back.
Heaven, please help my precious little girl.... And me. Amen.
8 cool people read this:
holy guacamole! i can't believe my eyes.
we ARE getting old! ;)
I seriously want to cry! And she's not even my daughter... (It's ok if you did though). How come they have to grow up?? She WILL do wonderfully and you'll do great too! Good luck Miss Kari girl!
She is my favorite 5 year old on the planet, and you are my favorite (and STILL young) 28 year old on the planet! I love her accesories, natch. And I love you! :)
I did cry... Emily, you and Justin are such wonderful parents. Kari couldn't have had better. She IS prepared. And, Heaven will help your little girl because she IS precious indeed. She's KARI! We LOVE her! The phone call was the best thing of my day. Thanks so very much. Love, Grandma and Grandpa
She is going to do so great this year. Wow I can't believe she is going to school. Time flies. She is such a big girl and is setting such a great example for her little sister and brother.
Oh my gosh she just looks so cute that I can't stand it! (Hey, my first day came really late, but I cried when I dropped Emma off at seminary for her first day of non-homeschool two years ago!)
How touching. Our children open our hearts and create a space, which they then fill with love. The shape changes size and shape over the years, but, it's a wonderful and wonderous thing. Happy first day to both of you. Dad
She is so dang cute and looks READY for school!!! I hope she loved it! She will do wonderfully, and you will too! :) YAY for Kari!!!! :)
Post a Comment