Thursday, August 5, 2010

Berenstain Smiths

You never know what kind of message your kids will get from a book. I take the children to the store with me. It's what I do. And someone always asks for something. I have been very fortunate in that most of the time I can get away with a "Sorry, not today", and they usually don't think twice about it. But, today, Kari wanted something and broke down into tears. Thankfully, not the loud, screaming typ. She is just a silent sobber. But still.... It was different for her. What did she want so badly? Silly Bandz. Geez.

She brought up, the "Gramps and Gran plan" from the book, and how that would be her one pick for the day.
I do love my kids, but if I bought them all a treat every time I went to
the grocery store, I would be broke!
And when I told her crying wouldn't help, in fact it would act against her, she said, "Well, in the book, Brother and Sister still got what they wanted when they cried."
Isn't it just like a kid to pick up the wrong moral of the story. How, if she fusses she gets what she wants. And, if she doesn't fuss, she can pick out in advance what she wants. Instead of being grateful for what you have, and not being greedy. You know, those sorts of things....
But, don't worry about her. Oh no, she has decided that the money in her piggy bank that was previously designated as the "Horse Fund" she will spend next time she goes back to Walmart.
She said, and I quote,
"I thought about it, and I don't think being a cowgirl would be all that fun."
*I do not own these pictures. They belong to someone else who has them copyrighted somewhere else...
That is all for the fine print legalese.*

1 cool people read this:

Mickellerox said...

Well I think learning the wrong kind of lesson is better than learning no lesson at all, but only slightly. ;) Also, this just makes me want to buy her all the silly bands in the world. That is all.