Monday, January 12, 2009

My first Birthday Party....

I was kinda worried about it. I wouldn't have even done one for Kari this year, but she asked, and I felt bad turning her down. What with Christmas, travelling, sickness, more travelling, etc, I didn't get around to throwing her party for her until Sat the 10th. Kari has been getting so many presents spread out for shipping purposes, Christmas, Birthday, etc, I don't think she really understands the difference. Plus, we did a mini party for her with just the fam, so... The kid has so many presents, I will have to figure out what to do with them all. And, she thought since she already had her 4th birthday (with just the family), that this party was for her 5th. Boy am I glad time doesn't travel that fast. It seems to be already faster than I want it... So, I was going to buy her a cake from Walmart for the occasion, and took her to look at the book to pick one. I skipped right past the train cake and asked her if she wanted Dora, Strawberry Shortcake or the Disney Princesses. Well, she picked Thomas the Train. Walmart wanted $25 for a sheet cake with green icing on top (with a little brown for the tracks-or cracks as Kari calls them) and a Thomas toy. Well, I can do better than that. I went and got a cake mix for $.88, a can of frosting for $1.26 and a Thomas toy for $2.50. Done. :) Once again, Justin did the majority of the frosting for us, and I am pretty proud of how it turned out. Here are a couple of pictures. We went to Burger King, ate cake, opened presents (with plenty of helpers) and then just let the kids run around for almost 2 hours. I was worried, but it went off without a hitch, and, if I do say so myself, my debut as a party host was pretty good :) Plus, we finally got to know some people in the ward...

Our version of Thomas the Tank Engine Cake:


Kari blowing out the candles.


Opening presents with helpers.





Kaitlyn taking inventory when she thought no one was looking...

The haul...

2 cool people read this:

Butler Family said...

Looks like you guys had a GREAT birthday Party for her!! How fun. Oh my heck I LOVE that cake!!! I might go and get Gordon one for his birthday on the 23rd. We are going to celebrate it with my aunts and cousins in a couple of weeks. Not a bad deal!!! And it looks GREAT:) So thanks for the idea and seriously she got ALOT of good stuff!! Lucky girl:)

Alyson said...

Wow! What a great haul! I'm impressed. Or, maybe, I'm just cheap. Because that all looks like better stuff than we buy friends when we go to parties. *blush*