I was a bit worried. Kari has had a visit with the dentist before, but I guess they didn't deal with kids very often. This one, however, did and it was wonderful!!! She got to ride on the "Magic Carpet" and they let her feel "Mr. Tickle", the brush on her hands, and "Mr. Sucker" in her hands and mouth. I had tried to prep Kari before we went by telling her that the dentist was going to look at her teeth and clean them with a special brush that would feel funny, but it wouldn't hurt, so she didn't need to be afraid. It seemed to work. Between me and the dentist, she did wonderful. They even gave her a token because she was so good to get a treat from the dispensers where she picked a frog toy. They talked to Kaitlyn and involved her too. It went so well that Kari said she wants to go back tomorrow. Thank heavens for dentists who know what they are doing when it comes to kids!!!
3 cool people read this:
I love pediodontists! My kids don't mind the dentist, though; about once a month they ask, "Mom, when can we go to the dentist again?" Like they want to go.
That's great! Dom was really happy at the dentist at my boys' visit a few months ago, he laid there calmly and let the hygienist brush and floss his teeth and the dentist look at them, but Chris screamed and had a fit, and we only got to look in his mouth when I held him over my lap so he was upside down, screaming. Sigh. I think that's because he injured his mouth last year and impacted a tooth and had to see the dentist for a bunch of x-rays (that was a whole other piece of ridiculousness, it took two hygienists and me to get the x-ray - I held him still, one hygienist held up the film behind his teeth as he screamed, and the other pushed the button. I was glad though because the next step was to take him to the hospital and x-ray under sedation), so maybe he's remembering that he saw the dentist when his mouth was hurting. His tooth is fine after all, just a little gray and crooked. Hopefully next time he'll be good like his brother... Ah motherhood.
Hooray for finding the right professional - makes all the difference in the world! Good Job Kari!!!
Post a Comment