Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Raising Readers

These pictures are from a much colder time in our lives.  When wearing sweaters made sense, and you didn't worry about sweating from the moment you woke up.  But I hadn't posted them yet.  Ironically, this year has gone nothing like previous years: Kaitlyn is the only one who has been chosen as the citizen of the month, and Kari and Dylan both have NOT been picked.  The results for April have already been announced, which leaves one more month before school is out.  I'm not particularly hopeful....
Both girls, however, has won multiple times for the most Accelerated Reader points in their class.  I'm really happy to have some fellow readers in the house!
This particular day, after we came home for the awards lunch, Kelsey played dress up.  And I thought this was an adorable picture :)
Kelsey and I don't read nearly as often as we should.  But one day a friend invited us to the library with her, and I was pleased that Kelsey immediately took an interest in the books around her.
As for the Dyl Man...  Color me impressed!  At the end of Kindergarten, he was reading small books and sounding out a few easy words.  This year, in first grade, they have him reading (in my humble opinion) some pretty impressive stuff!  Big words.  Long words.  Words with "gh" and "tion" that are difficult to just sound out.  At the beginning of the year, he was plugging along, going at a decent pace.  But, somewhere in the middle of the year, he just seemed to get it!  He could go faster.  He didn't have to sound out everything.  He was definitely comprehending more too!  
At first, I thought he was just memorizing things.  But, we have since read several books that I know he hasn't read on the regular, and he seems to do just as well.  I'm really proud of him too!

2 cool people read this:

Dan and Laura said...

I know I don't read to Bethany nearly as much as I read to my other kids. Oh well. ;) And way to go Dylan!

Becca said...

Yay for readers!!! Good job Dylan! :)