One of the many appointments we went to, and one that semi surprised me, was the eye doc. Kari has worn glasses since second grade. And every time we go, we've had to get new glasses or lenses because her prescription has gotten worse. Last time we went, both Kaitlyn and Dylan's eyes were fine. This time, however, the tables had turned! Kari's eye's were mostly fine (only one eye had changed, and that one only a tiny bit). But both Kaitlyn and Dylan needed glasses. Since I wasn't really planning on this, I failed to properly prepare. I had no snacks. No drinks. And no entertainment. Rookie move man. Not great. At first, I had Kari being bored, Kelsey literally wrapped around my legs, and both Dylan and Kaitlyn touching everything and looking for frames at the same time. I could feel my blood pressure rising. The office was nice enough to put on a movie in the (slightly separated) waiting room to try to entice the other kids to sit for a while. After some tears from Kelsey (not my finest moment), we seemed to have things occasionally under control.
Its interesting how different the kids were when trying on frames.
We started with Kaitlyn. She probably tried on almost every single frame in the place. When it finally came down to decision time, it was between these two frames. These plastic, slightly square-ish, frames with a pink tint.
And these fushia, metal, more rounded frames.
Ironically, of the 5 in the family who wear/wore glasses, Kaitlyn is the odd one out because she is far sighted (she sees further away more clearly, and doesn't see close up well).
Kelsey, unfortunately, continued to be a bit of a pill. She was "starving", and wanted to touch everything. In a fit of desperation, I handed her my phone set on camera.
I may, or may not, have had to delete 49 pictures of all the frames in the store. Unfortunately, the diversion didn't work for long, and I had to forcibly send her back to the movie.
Then it was Dylan's turn. This dude picked up this pair first. Tried them on, and declared that they were the ones! He was happy. Unfortunately, they are a bit too big for his noggin. And that is where the battle began.
I pulled these off the shelf. They are more rubberized, and specifically marketed for the more "active" child. That means they were slightly more expensive, but they appealed to me because I figured they would break less, and therefore I would only have to pay the extra once, instead of possibly several times (after he breaks them). And, I think they are actually pretty cute on him!
And there we were gridlocked. He wanted a pair too big, and I wanted a pair that wouldn't break very easily. I was set to overrule him. I told him that I was the mom, and I wanted him to have the unbreakable pair. Then, he started crying and said "Mom, please don't make me." So... I didn't. Thankfully, the wonderful people we were working with, came up with option 3. They aren't the less breakable kind, but they do fit his head better. And that was pretty much it. Little man only tried on 3 pairs.
2.5 hours later, when the exams were finished and the two frames were finally selected and paid for, I told Kelsey she could try on one pair of glasses. She went straight for the (rubberized) purple frames. I asked her to smile, and instead, I got this. Thankfully, it is kinda adorable all the same.
And before you ask, yes, I know all the children's shirts were inside out and backwards. It was Wacky Wednesday at school. And I took them out in public like that! Yikes!
We went back about a week later to pick up the glasses when they were finally ready. Kaitlyn picked the pink, squarish, plastic lenses, and Dylan picked option #3.
And, of course, Cheeser had to get in there too.
It didn't seem to take nearly as long for us to get used to their faces with the glasses. And only took a few days to seem weird without them. Now, if only we could get them to stay up on their faces!!! Dylan and Kari's are always at the end of their noses. Somehow, miraculously, Kaitlyn's stay in place. *shoulder shrug*
We went back about a week later to pick up the glasses when they were finally ready. Kaitlyn picked the pink, squarish, plastic lenses, and Dylan picked option #3.
And, of course, Cheeser had to get in there too.
It didn't seem to take nearly as long for us to get used to their faces with the glasses. And only took a few days to seem weird without them. Now, if only we could get them to stay up on their faces!!! Dylan and Kari's are always at the end of their noses. Somehow, miraculously, Kaitlyn's stay in place. *shoulder shrug*










1 cool people read this:
Ach, three in glasses! Wow. Oddly I come from the exact same genetic pool as your papa, but not a single one of mine needs glasses. Yet. Blaine doesn't have any eye correction, but both his parents wear glasses. You'd think with the combined genetics, we'd be in the craphole.
Post a Comment