Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Happy Birthday Dyl Man!

So, my little man, my one and only boy, turned 7!!!  

He got some wonderful presents that he was super excited for.
Lots of Minecraft things (PS- can I just say "I don't get it")

PPS- I love this picture of him!
Quite possibly the worlds coolest helmet.
And an over the door basket ball hoop!  He got it in a few times!
I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, and all he wanted was to have some friends come over for his favorite dinner (which turned out this year to be an experiment from Kari's mind: White Saulfredo) and "cake".  They were super "sweet" too and brought him a present: that super fun putty that makes fart noises when you play with it!

Whew!  That is a lot of "air quotes" :)
Dylan is not super fond of sweets, so when I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, he wasn't sure.  When I suggested a donut "cake" he was super excited!  
We went to Krispy Kreme the evening before and Dylan got to pick out a dozen donuts to mix in the with plain ones.  We also picked up a dozen to eat for breakfast for the birthday boy.  Might as well go all the way, you know?
Make a wish!
Dylan was nice and let each of the kids take a few turns with the basketball.  It took Kelsey a few tries, but she finally got it :)
At his annual pediatricians visit he was 52 lbs (50%) and 49 in (75%).  We also discovered he seems to have some slight scoliosis, so we spent some time waiting for an xray so we would have a baseline to compare to later.  

This year in school has been pretty great.  I believe I have already mentioned that Little Man and I didn't always get along when trying to do some "home schooling".  And therefore, he went to school a little bit "behind" the girls.  (again with the quotation marks!)  Not that he was ever really behind.  He just wasn't as ahead as the girls.  The beginning of the year we were plugging along, steadily moving forward.  When they started math stuff, he seemed to really just get it, and I think that gave him confidence in his reading.  By the second half of the year, I feel like things started going much smoother for him.  He is *this close* to being caught up with the girls.  He sometimes even enjoys reading.  (Which is not to say that I don't think some of the words they read are waaaaaaay advanced for a first grader, but that is a post for another time.  Declaration of Independence anyone?).

He is very concerned with pleasing others, but is getting better at making good choices.  He can be pretty sensitive too, and sometimes we have to remind him what is worth crying over.  He learned to ride his bike with no training wheels pretty much by himself.  He got glasses and, to me, looks like Clark Kent!  He lost his first two teeth, waiting all the way until 1st grade to do so.  He learned to swim really well.  Its been a busy year :)

Happy Birthday Dyl Man!  We love you!!!

2 cool people read this:

Dan and Laura said...

Phew! Busy year indeed! Way to go Dylan! We love you- Happy Birthday!

Becca said...

He's had a lot going on! Such a great kid! Happy Birthday! :)