Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Pencil

Kari has discovered bartering. I would prefer that she abstain from this particular activity, but it seems it is inevitable. And, I suppose she has to learn somehow that not all trades are in her favor (since she has always been able to easily manipulate Kaitlyn and Dylan). And, as harsh as this sounds, since I can no longer protect her, she also has to learn that sometimes, there are "Indian givers".... :/

A few days ago, she came home with a beautiful red pencil. It didn't have an eraser
(the former owner had chewed it off). But, Kari, being ever the practical person,
installed the "over the pencil" eraser, and kept chugging along on her homework. A few moments later I heard "I love you."

I said "Aw, Kari. I love you too." She turned to me with complete innocence in her eyes and said, "Mom, I was talking to my new pencil."
Yeah. Thanks, kid. Thanks a lot....

3 cool people read this:

Laura said...

How awesome! School supplies rock!

Alyson said...

How awesome when a pencil is all it takes to make happiness complete and 100%?

Becca said...

I understand Kari, I have that kind of relationship with a few pens, yes they are just so great and special. :) And I have to say, that is a dazzling red pencil!!