Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Deer

*WARNING: There is one picture that may not be for the very faint of hear. And when I say very, I mean very, because the picture is really not that bad. But I figured I would warn you in case I get nasty comments afterwards.* :)











Last year hubby shot a deer during season, and we have been eating it ever since. I don't think (I honestly don't remember) if Kari was with him (I am pretty sure she wasn't. Yes... I am sure. Well, pretty sure....). (They have been "hunting" together before {translation: sitting in the deer house and watching deer}) This year she said she wanted to go again. Hubby and I had already talked about it, and had basically decided that although I wouldn't mind a deer, maybe later in the season (so I would have time to clean out my freezer). Hubby hadn't even really planned on going hunting, but Kari asked, and he can't say no. :) She actually fell asleep in the deer house, and hubby woke her up when the deer came into the field. She immediately asked "Which one are you going to shoot?" Hubby tried to explain a little about the loud gun, how the deer would die, how the babies wouldn't have a mommy anymore, but how we would eat it because we didn't want to waste it, and Kari replied "So, which one you gonna shoot?" Apparently, this went on through several deer coming and going, because hubby still didn't really want to. But he finally gave in after several minutes and ended up shooting one. The noise or the deer didn't bother Kari at all, but she wouldn't go into the dark to go get it, so hubby brought her back (he didn't want to leave her in the truck, and she wouldn't follow him into the dark) and then went back to get the deer. When he brought it back, Kari stayed outside and watched for a majority of the skinning and quartering, and has been looking forward to a venison dinner.


The mighty hunters.

We came out to visit. Its a shame you can't see the front of his hat. It has a frog on it :)
Never mind... I cropped my less that good face out, but his cute little hat is just classic :)
Kaitlyn even came out to visit, and was unhappy that we went back inside.
Anytime you are in the neighborhood, feel free to stop by for a venison dinner :)

2 cool people read this:

Laura said...

You're right. The picture wasn't that bad. I thought you might show the skinning and quartering... Thanks for NOT showing that btw. :) Good times!

Becca said...

YUM! I'm totally stopping by now, in fact I'd probably go out of my way to come visit you now. I loved it when my dad when deer hunting and came back with the meat. YUM-MY!! :) Dinner for 3. :)