Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dylan - 2 months

Due to our phone service being out for 2.5 days (I know, I know, it was rough for me too) I didn't get the chance to post about Dylan's 2 month check up. He weighed in at 14 lbs 1 oz and 24 in long (a scant 1.5 lbs from his immediate big sister's 6 month weight). He is in the 95th percentile for both weight and height. He has officially graduated to 3-6 month clothes and size 2 diapers. He eats about every 4 hours, and recently gave up his 2 am feeding. Loving it!!!

Now, some of you may remember me singing the praises of "Mr. Mellow" from a while back. Unfortunately that all changed rather suddenly. We went to eat to celebrate the inlaws in town at a Hibachi grill. It was wonderful, but that night and all the next day, Dylan was not a happy camper. Ever since then (about 6 weeks), he seems to have got some kind of tummy issue. He regularly fusses about 1-1.5 hours after every feeding (if he is asleep, he wakes up to fuss, and then goes back to sleep). And, he gets really fussy/screams bloody murder every night somewhere between 6:30-8:30. Now, there are a number of things wrong with this. A) He is obviously uncomfortable. 2) It is probably my fault from something that I am eating. d) This also happens to be dinner time, shower time, story time, and bed time. (That movie reference is for my lovely little brother... Brownie points if you can Name that Movie!) Makes for interesting nights. He hasn't been able to sleep in anything but his bouncy chair on his stomach for about 2 weeks now. However, through experimentation of my own (unfortunately, pretty disappointed with the pediatrician on this one) I think we might be hitting a sweet spot. I have thus far given up all things dairy (to include milk, yogurt, cheese, butter, and ice cream), broccoli (this seems to be the stresser from the hibachi grill), eggs and chocolate (I know, that was the hardest one). The difference is well worth it. He hardly fusses any more after eating. He even slept in his own bed last night for several hours, albeit on his stomach, but without being vibrated. And although he was kinda fussy tonight, it was nowhere near what it has been in the past. Also, the pediatrician recommended a regimen of prune juice to help his little pooper, and that may be helping him be more comfortable as well.

So, all in all, we are getting better, and I love the results. He talks (as before mentioned :) and coos, and smiles, and is more content to sit in my lap, than having to be bounced and patted. We will give him some time to keep feeling better, then add things back in, one at a time, to see if he can handle it.

I do love the little boy, and although he has only been with us for 2 months, it feels like he has always been here. Thankfully, we can keep him for forever!

3 cool people read this:

Mickellerox said...

Home alone! Brownie points to meeee!!! :)

Alyson said...

I've heard of broccoli being a Big Bad in causing nursing babies trouble. Way to go figuring that out.

This will probably only last a little while, a couple of months at most, and then you'll be able to add them all in again (chocolate first, natch). But it's sure worth it to get the baby to sleep and stay asleep, isn't it?

Butler Family said...

Awwhe is 2 months already. Where does the time go?? He is such a cutie too