Because I have visited Utah a few times, we have done several of the tourist-y things. However, I had never been to This is the Place Monument. And when La suggested it, I was totally on board!
Of course we had to stop for a picture or two on the way in!
The first thing we did was experience a little bit of pioneer life. Washing and ironing.
And plowing.
And the occasional rug beating.
Of course we got to experience some of the fun things the pioneers did too!
After that particular house, we headed over to barn where we got to ride and pet some horses.
And even milk some cows!
Kari was unfortunately too big to ride the horses, but she spent some time with this chestnut while the others had their turns.
And the petting zoo was a fun experience for the kids too.
At one point in the day we stopped to eat our picnic lunches. But then we kept right on going.
We got to ask the blacksmith some questions.
And then we sent the kids to school!!! The bigger kids went to join in the pioneer games, but Bethany wasn't interested. Funny girl... when she notices I was taking pictures, she pulled this pose all on her own!
After recess, they went inside to get some learning!
As we continued to tour the pioneer village, we made sure to stop at the bank. Where these three, ironically, were talking about the best way to rob the bank and get away with it! Little boogers!
We made sure to stop at the tannery and let the kids have the opportunity to personalize their own pieces of leather.
Sweet baby Beffy. She didn't get to stamp her leather, but she saw everyone else posing for pictures, so she did too! I love how she posed exactly the same, even though she didn't have a piece of leather to hold.
We stopped by the pharmacy.
And the barbers shop, where everyone got a classic pioneer shave.
*Funny story: I sent the picture of Kari getting shaved to a few of my close friends with the caption "We've talked about her starting to shave, but this isn't what I had in mind." She saw it after the face and said "Moooom! I can't believe you sent that. But it was pretty fun. I forgive you." Dang teenager!
And what pioneer village is complete without a visit to the mercantile for a candy stick?
We probably spent the most time at the printer. He was very personable and very knowledgeable. And he managed to interest the kids and keep them there for probably 15 minutes.
There was a small Indian craft area too, because the Utah Indians were a large part of the pioneers settling.
And then, we had to take the opportunity to pan for gold!
Towards the end, we did one last craft, where we colored and cut. And, I'll just say we were about done. We had originally only planned about half a day for this activity, and were pleasantly, yet surprised, that we literally spent all day there! By the end, some of us may have been more worn out than others.... I'll not mention any names, but.... cough, *me*, cough.
After we stopped by the gift store on the way out, to get a souvenir, it was time to head home!
FYI: I know this is a largely LDS run park, but there really was hardly any overtly religious stuff around. More pioneer based. So if you are possibly interested in going, but afraid you will have to convert to Mormon-ism.... never fear! It was more entertaining than religious.























0 cool people read this:
Post a Comment