Driving day 3 was a long, hard slog! Before we left the super cool hotel, Dylan told me his finger hurt. I looked at it, but didn't really see anything wrong with it. So, I told him I was sorry, and we moved on. As the day progressed though, so did his whining. He told me he could feel his heart "beep" in his finger, and that it was hurting more and more. After lunch, I took a look at it, and it did seem pretty red. By the time I stopped for gas 3 hours later, it looked like this:
So, in the course of about 7-8 hours, it went from looking fine, to having pus around the fingernail, and an ominous red streak from the fingernail, down the side of his finger, into the hand. I called hubby who did some searching for me, and found a Walmart with a clinic on our route. We were able to get a walk in appointment, with not too much wait. There he was diagnosed with paronychia. However, the clinic wouldn't drain it, so we had to find an urgent care (which thankfully happened to be down the road) that would. They soaked his hand in ice for a few minutes to numb it, and then poked it with a sterile something or other. Dylan was pretty freaked out that it was going to hurt, and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't bad at all! We then had to wait at Walgreens while his antibiotic prescription was filled. All in all, not a difficult thing to do. But it put us back almost 4 hours. So, while we originally planned on being at the next hotel by 8 pm, it was almost midnight by the time we arrived.... It meant we were also a bit slow on the exit the next morning. But, thankfully, everyone survived. Even Dylan ;)

0 cool people read this:
Post a Comment