Friday, October 16, 2015

Canoe Trip Jumping

When we got invited to go on the trip, I said yes, not really knowing exactly what the trip would be like.  For some reason, I thought we would get in the boat, paddle for a bit, get out, and go home.  I didn't realize that it would be a good 4 hours in the boat by the time we made it from the drop off point to the pick up point.  All the swimming happened near the beginning of the trip, and I wish now (looking back) that maybe I had participated.  At the very least, that we had gotten in and swam again later.  

Good news is: We still had loads of fun!  I just might do things slightly differently next time. 

Right around the corner from the first swimming hole was a "cliff".  And only the brave would jump off.  Ironically, Dylan and Kaitlyn (who I would not classify as my most adventurous) jumped multiple times, while Kari (who usually is quite fearless) only jumped ones.  Hubby, who is really just a big child at heart, jumped several times too.
When we "docked" the boats over close to the cliff, all the kids got out of the boat.  So, Mollie followed.  As they climbed higher and jumped off time after time, Mollie would stand by, whining.  So...  hubby said, "OK.  Lets jump!"  He picked her up, and jumped in with her.  He actually threw her forward from him just a tiny bit so that his undertow wouldn't take her deeper.  She survived.  She swam.  She seemed to have fun.  However, as hubby swam past her, Mollie quickly swam over to him and tried to climb/crawl on top of him.  Maybe she didn't like swimming all that much after all.  So, hubby was nice enough to let her ride on his chest until they got over to the side.  (Where Mollie climbed into Kari's boat and stayed for an hour)
Kinda love this picture.  Shows hubby's adventurous side.  Shows Dylan's adventurous side.  Shows how far up they were jumping.  And is just a good, middle of the action, action shot!
I did manage to get a small video of each person jumping.  And, because I am apparently an airhead and forgot, I filmed them all with the camera sideways.  Sorry.

Even Kelsey went.  Once.  The gasp you hear is the cute lady (previous pictured) who is a sweet, motherly lady.  She has two children of her own.  Both boys.  Both out of the house (almost).  And she worries for all the little children.  I had no idea hubby was literally going to throw her out, but he wanted to make sure she cleared the rocks underneath her.  And, while you can't hear, hubby was giving her instructions and making sure she knew what to expect and still wanted to go.

She came right back up and swam back over to a boat.  When I asked her if she had fun she replied quickly and exuberantly "yes!".  When I asked her if she wanted to go again, she replied in exactly the same fashion "no!"

2 cool people read this:

Laura said...

SUPER adventurous!! So fun!

Becca said...

HOW FUN!!! That cliff was high, like you said you can see with the picture of Justin and Dylan. wow! Very cool that Kelsey even got in on the fun. :)