I have been busy as of late. First of all, purchasing a house that we know needs work, means alot of time spent working on the house to start with. Plus, trying to move stuff, packing, paying enough attention to my children to keep them from thinking they don't exist anymore, and then, to top it all off, this....
(Remember, we closed on Friday) We went over to sand, yet again, after work on Tuesday. As part of moving in, I figured if I took over a load of stuff everyday, moving day would be alot better. We would store it down in the basement, so we could move in slowly to the upstairs. So, we opened the door to take down the first box, and low and behold this is what we find:
Water, about 2-3 inches deep, in the basement. Soooooooooooooooooo not fun. We had no idea what to do. We had owned the home for a total of 4 days. 96 hours. 5760 seconds. And, the basement appears to be flooded. It was 10:30 at night, so we decided to take picture of everything (luckily I had the camera) and start calling in the morning. After thinking about it (and smelling it), we think it was a septic tank back up into the house. Luckily, that particular tank (apparently our house has 2) has not been used for probably about a year. We think the water came in through here:
And, of course, we walked around in the water for quite a while before we knew what it was. I even asked the hubby to pose for this picture, for perspectives sake:
Since then, we are working on solving the problem. I have had 2 plumbers out, and gotten different answers as to the solution to our problem. I am thinking of having a 3rd come out, and just going with the majority. We also have called an emergency water removal company, who has come out with all kinds of cool machines to dry the air, extract the remaining standing water, clean the air of the smell, and test the drywall and baseboards to see if they are still wet. They will also spray everything down with a solution to kill any bacteria/mold/etc. That is going to be a several day process, so... I will continue to report on anything really cool and impressive as it happens.
As of today, we have ordered the carpet (to be installed sometime next week) and stained the hardwood. On the docket for tomorrow, a trip to Lowe's and hopefully 1, maybe 2, coats of polyurethane. We have until the end of the month to get things moving. Wish us luck!
*Tip of the Day: If you are refinishing hardwood floors, buy lots of sandpaper, and change often. It makes the work go faster, and time is money people!*
2 cool people read this:
Best of luck! I can't wait to see the finished products! Where did you get the carpet from? How much do you think all that clean up will cost ya? And will YOU guys have to pay for it all?
well as much as this sucks, aren't you glad it happened BEFORE you put boxes down there? ;)
Post a Comment